Monday, October 02, 2006

Science For All...

This article from Educational Researcher focuses on equitable science education for students from non-English-language backgrounds (NELB) but the approaches outlined here can probably be applied to other diverse groups and subject areas. The authors propose the notion of "instructional congruence" as a way of making academic content accessible, meaningful, and relevant for diverse learners.

Bibliographic Note:

Okhee Lee and Sandra Fradd, "Science for All, Including Students From Non-English-Language Backgrounds", Educational Researcher, Vol. 27, No.4, pp12-21.

1 comment:

Geary Don Crofford said...

Hi Dr. Pedersen, welcome back and I am glad you traveled safely. Thanks for the comment on the blog's new look, I like it too. I likewise am looking forward to and am intrigued by the educational law class. I didn't realize how little I know in this area until I bought Dr. Rossow's text and started reading it. A friend of mine is taking classes at NSU and apparently one of his professors stated that anyone would be crazy to go into or stay in education right now, in terms of liability and other legal issues. We currently have a situation at my school I cannot discuss online that is reinforcing that viewpoint for me, for better or worse!

I see instructional congruence applying to Native American students in particular because hands-on, inquiry based science activities provide a bridge between their kinesthetic learning styles and literacy development. These students can benefit from learning experiences that evolve into language functions, including describing, hypothesizing, reasoning, explaining, predicting, reflecting, and imagining.