Monday, June 26, 2006

Day 3 History of Biology Survey

Even though many of the images in this exhibit were not yet available for viewing online I would appreciate seeing some of them when I visit the collections again, especially those pertaining to human anatomical studies. I was struck by the beauty and artistry of the ones that were available, especially the herbals. Some of the points I found most interesting were blood-letting, the treatment of syphilis with mercury (!), the various ideas about the causes of disease, and the perceived relationships between astronomy, astrology, and anatomy.

Probably most surprising to me was the detail of the drawings, and the ideas that were the cornerstones of science at the time, such as those mentioned above. Also confounding was that for all their beauty the drawings were often not technically sound. This course is helping me to understand and appreciate the context in which these ideas were founded, and as I progress through the readings and images I hope to have gained a better overall appreciation for the flow and development of biological thought from century to century. I also noticed that science seemed to be restricted to the upper classes and clergy and found that interesting.

As a science educator I found this survey useful because I can refer to these online exhibits as a teaching tool and help my students appreciate how far science has come over the centuries by actually showing them and not just telling them about it. I also feel it is imperative that I personally have a better overall feel for how scientific thought has developed and this will make me a better teacher in general.

I would like to see or read the following because frankly I have never been exposed to original works like these and I appreciate their artistry and scientific importance (also Further Study note):

Herball of John Gerard (1597)

Fuchs' De historia stirpium (1547)

Paracelsus. Prognostication auff XXIIII. Augspurg, Getruckt durch H. Steyner, (1536)

Anothomia Mondini nuper optime emedata ac suma diligitia ipressa. Venetiis, Bonetum Locatelli Bergomesuz, 1507. (12 leaves, 32 cm, not illustrated)

Charles Estienne. De dissectione partium corporis humani libri tres, a Carolo Stephano, doctore medico, editi. Vna cum figuris et incisionum declarationibus, a Stephano Riuerio chirurgo copositis. Parisiis, Apud S. Colinaeum, 1545.

Bibliographic Note:

Kerry Magruder,History of Science Online Exhibits, "Part 1. Materia Medica and Herbals: Intro" http://hsci.cas.ou.edu/exhibits/exhibit.php?exbgrp=-999&exbid=48&exbpg=9
These web pages give an overview of some of the drawings and concepts of the 16th century life sciences.

No comments: